Saturday, May 30, 2009

Safflower oil by itself left my hair totally greasy looking. Made it feel better but that was about it. It's possile that I used too much so I will give it another go. Directions say put a couple of drops in your palm, rub together and apply by squeezing sections of your hair. I definately used to much for my short hair!!!

Ok, round two of homemade products went so much better!!!! Thank goodness! I made a lot of stuff today and used it all. I think so far, so good.

Shampoo: 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup liquid castile soap, 1/2 teaspoon safflower oil and 1 tablespoon strongly brewed chamomile tea. Mix together, lather well and rinse throughly. To make this is cost me $2.11 (soap from Vitamin Cottage and rest from King Soopers). I would have liked a shampoo with a thicker consistency (like the facial cleanser below).

Deep Conditioning Treatment: 1 part olive oil and 2 parts honey. Depending on how long/thick your hair is you may need more or less. I used 1/4 cup honey and 1/8 cup olive oil. Comb through hair, cover with shower cap or plastic grocery bag and leave on for 15-30 mins. There is no way I could have combed this mixture through my hair, it was really thick. I don't think it's an everyday thing. I am going to try just using the shampoo tomorrow and see how my hair feels then. Right now it feels good but Im not sure if it's from this treatment + shampoo. We'll see. I don't have a figure on how much this cost because I had both at home already.

Glycerin Facial Cleanser: 2 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoon glycerin, 1/2 cup water. Blend ingreadients together in a metal bowl or the top pot of a double boiler. Place in a warm water bath and heat gradually, do not boil. The mixture should be clear and be the consistency of pudding. My cleanser is not clear, maybe I didn't heat enough but the texture is good. It was a little weird to use it because Im used to cleanser with the scrubby balls in them. It seems like it worked good but only time will tell. This was inexpensive to make. I already had the cornstarch but the glycerin is only $0.86 an oz so it only cost $0.58 for the amount in this recipe!!!

Lemon Toner: 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1 cup distilled water and 2/3 cup witch hazel. Mix together and put into a clean bottle, shake before each use and apply with a cotton ball. I liked the way this felt. I don't use toners everyday any more but I will now to see how this works. I would put this in a spray bottle instead of using cotton balls. Im going to get one later! This was inexpensive to make as well. I already had the lemon juice, the rest cost $2.50 and it should last a long time.

Lotion for Normal/Oily Skin: 1 tablespoon Rose Water, 2 capsules Vitamin E (800 IU's), 1 tablespoon each of the following honey, coconut oil and olive oil. Mix well in a small bowl, apply with cotton ball and refrigerate between uses. I just figured out that I used different amounts for this. I made my own rose water and used the whole thing (duh!!!) Well I guess we'll see how that goes for my face!!! Maybe it will be awesome (here's to crossing my fingers), I hate when I do this!!! Anyways, no wonder why this seemed so expensive (compared to the other products I made). The way I made it, it cost $7.26. There is a lot there so it should last a long time. I am going to have to figure out the percents and add more of the other ingredients. After that it will have cost a lot more!!!!! This seems really oily for an oily skin lotion but it's probably my lack of attention when making it. I will try it again and see how it feels.

Lip Balm: 6 tablespoons sweet almond oil, 3 chamomile tea bags, 3 mint tea bags, 1 tablespoon beeswax. Put almond oil and tea bags into a saucepan, cook over very low heat for 1/2 hour to release active ingredients from the herbs. Remove tea bags, add beeswax and let it melt. Poor into a jar (if you put jar on wood or newspaper before fill it is less likely to crack). Let the mixture set and put on lips. I added grapefruit essential oil (1 teaspoon) for fragrence. You can add any flavor you like. This cost me $4.35 with the oil and would have cost $3.07 without (grapefruit oil is more expensive than most other essential oils).

All in all, Im happy with what I've done today. I am not going to try any other products until these are gone or I am completely unhappy with them. Some will last longer than others and I will note how long each lasts as I run out.

Let me know if you have any questions or have any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment